Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Intolerant Douchebags

For the past 36 years I have made observations about tolerance and discrimination. I have come to some conclusions about how I should deal with intolerance and have leaned much from people who deal with it better and more gracefully than I do.

The most helpful person in my life was my ex boyfriend. He has a prosthetic leg and an amazing calmness and grace when confronted with morons. I would feel my blood boiling and remember him gently putting his hand on my shoulder to calm me down.He never let people staring bother him at all. I also remember some little kids, naturally curious about him at the beach coming up to us and asking him what happened and what his leg was made of. I have a shit memory but I can recall every detail of that day. Him laughing and explaining it to the kids and their total interest and innocent curiosity.

I try very hard to model that grace when I have to deal with intolerance.I still snap sometimes but I am willing to keep working on it.

I am a work in progress these days.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's a good message in that Kelly. I Snap sometimes too, guess that means I'm a work in progress as well!

Kelly Marie said...

We all are Babe!