Friday, June 20, 2008

Get your head out of your ass

I live in an upper class suburbia. We are famous for two things now. Being the start of the Boston Marathon and the Neil Entwhistle murders. The case was especially hard for me because my daughter was the exact same age as the poor baby girl who was killed.It haunted me and I refused to watch any TV coverage about it.

I have to be honest, I have always felt like a visitor in my town for a number of reasons.The behavior displayed after these murders really gave me clarity as to why I dislike this town. At the market I heard "Well, they just moved here, they are not really from here". The local free papers pretended IT NEVER HAPPENED. Seriously they made mention once of the fact they did not want to talk about it.I wrote a letter a few years back to this same paper bitching about how the town overspends and then bullies us into overrides by saying 911 may not be as readily available if we vote no. I compared it to being sweet talked by Tony Soprano about an offer I can't refuse.

Not only did they NOT print the letter I had a message on my answering machine saying " I did not understand the repercussions or the override failing" and that was the newspaper calling me.I kept waiting for the fish wrapped in the paper to be delivered to my house.

This head in the sand mentality is not helpful. Look at Gloucester Massachusetts. 17 girls make a pact to intentionally get pregnant and help each other raise the babies?
As a parent I realize you can't possibly cover all scenarios to protect your children. That being said pregnancy, birth control and what Mom and Dad will do if you are ever so stupid or careless as to get pregnant at age 15..that should be covered, continuously, until they understand.

I knew as a teen if I came home drunk, stoned, with an F or pregnant I was dead meat.It was drilled into me every Friday before i went out. They were not trying to be my best pal, or a Dina Lohan party Mom...they told me what was expected of me. They also told me they would never disown me for these offences, but I would be in so much trouble I would wish for being disowned. Fair enough.

I see the permissive celebrity culture filtering into my New England. We need a quick injection of common sense and accountability stat!

No comments: