Thursday, June 12, 2008

Autism the one liners, what to say if you want me to hurt you really bad.

A good friend of mine just found out his toddler aged son is Autistic. Not really a club I wanted to have to welcome him too. It brings back sharp memories for me and reminds me how very far we have come in accepting and embracing who Jefferson is. I saw my friend flinch when I reminded him I have an Autism Speaks logo tattooed into my skin. He is definitely not there yet.

Some of the most ignorant things ever uttered by supposed neuro-typicals:

Oh, he's like rainman then?

So he's retarded?

Can he play the piano?

Oh, one of those idiots servants or something?

Or the less obvious but still ignorant things to say:

Aww, he is not Autistic that is just the new diagnosis du jour.

Oh, Jenny Mccarthy knows how to cure Autism you know.

you are just letting him act that way.



By the way morons, he is smarter and more thoughtful and analytical than you could ever hope to be. Be nice to him he may end up being your neurosurgeon someday.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

Huh! Love the ending, too true, too true.

So you didn't include the 'did you say artistic?' query, that I still get freqently.

Cheers

Kelly Marie said...

Maddy, I have heard that one as well!