Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Pope Mobile Coming soon

Pope Benedict is not being embraced by American Catholics. American Catholics have been in crisis ever since the sex scandals in early 2000 where high ranking clergy members covered up known abuses and merely shuffled the offending priests to new unsuspecting churches. Boston's own Cardinal Law knowingly turned a blind eye in in the face of a mountain of evidence against Father John Geogan who molested children unfettered for decades.Cardinal Law was rewarded for this by being given a juicy administrative position in Rome.The Laity formed a group, Voice of the Faithful which succeeded in shining a very bright light on the cover ups and screaming for reform.

After this scandal blew up the Church distributed a document in 2005 to their churches called Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders
This piece of insight draws parallels between homosexuality and pedophilia. Way to win us back you dolts.

This among other things has taken an axe to my already thin allegiance to the Roman Catholic Church. What a crock of shit. I already knew that I disagreed with some of the Churches stances on birth control and fertility treatments. If you do not know, having IVF with donor sperm is tantamount to infidelity.

The do as we say, not as we do is not something Americans find motivating. I am a lapsed catholic to put it mildly. I am comfortable with my own personal beliefs and relationship with god and I take comfort in that relationship in my own way.

So it is no surprise to me that Americans are not moved to see the new Pope Benedict when he travels to the US. I am not sure where Catholicism is headed but cetainly Pope Benedict will have a lot of work to do if he wants to bring back his flock into a trusting and symbiotic relationship.

No comments: