Thursday, April 17, 2008

Jackie Warner and Camille Paglia


One subject I am endlessly fascinated by is gender roles. I have written about my masculine and feminine side in previous blogs and discuss this with my friends regularly.



My friend Thomas (who is a fucking genius) is able to write about this in a much more compelling way than I am. He looks at things in a more detached way and can analyze things that I usually miss.



The infatuation I have for Jackie Warner, the lesbian gym owner on the reality show Workout really drives home my interest in these gender stereotypical behaviors.



I joke about my girl crushes often. I have them and am comfortable with it. I do wonder why I am so drawn to Jackie. If she was a muscle bound man instead of a woman I do not think I would feel the same way. I like her as a beautiful and strong woman. Unafraid to be strident and ambitious, business owner, seducer, and open about her emotional side. She balances between feminine and masculine in a way that appeals to me.



I have always followed with interest the writings of Camille Paglia a self proclaimed bisexual feminist egomaniac. Her analysis of gender roles often rings true to me and as a naive college girl it was a new exotic viewpoint for me to hear someone saying that feminism was going wrong, was infantilizing and We've got to get back to a pro-art, all right, pro-beauty, pro-men kind of feminism.



We need a new leader! I wonder who Camille will pass the torch to. Madonna for a years seemed to be Camille's female ideal but Madonna has burnt out with her crappy children's books, fake accent and forced piety. Sister please! I liked her so much better in her bondage photos and burning crosses and making out with a black Jesus.

I am so bored with the current botox plastic females that are popular. I think it is time for a new aesthetic.

2 comments:

Megan said...

you're killing me. I love this. I will have to check out your other posts.

Love your honesty, yeah, I have to check out that gym owner. That show has intrigued me, but I never seem to catch it.

Glad to see you are holding on to who you are despite the kids, school and life. You are an inspiration ;)

Megan

Kelly Marie said...

aww, thanks Megan.