Friday, April 25, 2008

Begrudgingly living green

Ten years ago I laughed my ass off whenever I listened to Denis Leary's No Cure for Cancer CD...I love him, carnivore, smoker, smart ass Irish boy.

Lyric from his song I'm an asshole

And I'm gonna drive around in that baby at 115mph getting one mile per gallon, sucking down quarter pounder cheese burgers from McDonald's in the old-fashioned non-biodegradable Styrofoam containers and when I'm done sucking down those grease ball burgers, I'm gonna wipe my mouth with the American flag and then I'm gonna toss the Styrofoam container right out the side and there ain't a God damned thing anybody can do about it. You know why? Because we got the bombs, that's why.

Then I go and have two kids and one has Autism. I start reading about parenting and diet and environmental toxins. God help me, I start to recycle. I clean with green cleaning products. Now that I am taking science classes I am even more determined to do right by our planet.

The other day I was at the supermarket and had the baby (Jordan) in the grocery cart. The cashier who I believe is, er rather I think she may be, fuck it. She was a bit special. As she is ringing the order ahead of mine I put my 5 items down on the belt..one of them being diapers. she looks over my head to the customer behind me and says conspiratorially "I wish everyone saw the show I did about environment, then they would stop using diapers." I was annoyed. Not annoyed enough to yell at a retarded person. The lady behind me gave me a sweet smile and told me my baby was beautiful..that kind of chilled me out. Mulling it over on the ride home it struck me that it is actually a good thing that most people are starting to really care about this stuff. It really is reaching everyone, not just people who can afford to shop at whole foods.

I still do love a juicy burger and foie gras, and nobody can take that away from me. (except my cardiologist)

No comments: