Saturday, May 10, 2008

For people who can't afford the Gap

I think the slogan for Old Navy should be "For people who can't afford the Gap". I am not clothing obsessed, I generally stick with what I would consider middle class designers like Liz Clairborne , Gap and occasionally Talbots.I do like to browse at Donna Karen , Sigrid Olsen (who is a fellow Monsterrat Alum I must brag)and Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers but I never buy there, I can't justify my income to their price ratio. This year I have had to get more creative about where and what I can buy.

I have basically had to replace my entire wardrobe twice in the past two years due to weight loss and it has been a real challenge.I am starting to really like Old Navy. The people that work there are actually happy and friendly (see previous rants about the douche bags at Abacrombie and Pretentiousness). They don't care if your kids sing Somewhere Beyond the Sea at top volume.The clothes are cute and they have a huge selection. They even carry plus sized and petties, I have the annoying luck to need tiny pants and humongous shirts.They are not as well made as the gap stuff but are decent.

Target has cute kid clothes and gross adult stuff, Walmart is just, well too Walmarty.For the longest time I refused to donate my old Liz Clairborne suits even though they were about 5 sizes too big. They were beautiful and I worked my ass off to buy them. I felt like a real grownup when I wore them too. My mother in law literally had to come help nudge me into finally getting all those clothes together.

I really do not have any suits now and it will probably be another year or two before I can purchase a nice one. I have decided I really do not need to dress like a grownup anymore, dressing like me is a lot easier on the wallet. Plus my main work wardrobe will soon be scrubs and Birkenstocks! I cannot wait.

No comments: