Sunday, January 27, 2008

Sucky Reality TV

I will start by admitting I do not watch very much television. I am not trying to sound like an elitist asshole and that TV is beneath me.I work, go to school and have two kids...but when flipping the channels and watching pieces of some of the programming, I do wonder who the hell likes this stuff.

OK, so I watched part of Rock Of Love, a reality show where "ladies" try to impress and ensnare Brett Michael of the eighties glam rock band Poison. Maybe two of all the girls were funny and fun, most of them were clueless and sad in spandex and way too much makeup. The scariest moments were when cameras would show these girls lying in bed drunk with their makeup all smeared. Faded youth plus a woman who's trying grimly to look 18 is a train wreck. I am no prude and if you want to show what god gave you you have my blessing (not that you should give a shit) however I wonder why these girls do not understand that we are not laughing with them.

There is one reality show that I watch with my husband one in a while and that is The biggest loser. Other than forcing the contestants to weigh in wearing sports bras..which must be horrifying for them, they show is careful to be a positive program. The teams are forced to compete with each other in physical activities and never forces them to eat bugs or blatantly exploits them. You root for them to succeed.

The celeb reality shows have a different vibe to them. Celebrities seem to have a lot more awareness of how they are being portrayed and have ability to manipulate the cameras to get attention. The B- Celeb laden Surreal Life was a lot of posturing and fake drama. I watched a few episodes and got bored fast. When watching these shows I think of the fable of Narcissus, so enamored of his own reflection.

No comments: