Monday, February 25, 2008

Tattoos and what I have learned


I don't really know why other people get tattoos..but I know what getting mine meant to me. I celebrate my son and take pride in his uniqueness. Jefferson has taught me so much. I have become more independent and confident in my own personae which includes being less influenced by other peoples impressions of me.


There was a time when Jefferson was a baby about 3 and I had him at the Neurologists office and he was running around playing and chirping away. He was banging a small toy on the floor and on the wall as I was paying and rescheduling for a new appointment. A very old woman kept sighing loudly and putting her head in her hands. Then as my son walked over to a woman sitting he smiled and held up his toy to show her. As he walked away I turned to see the old woman lean in conspiratorially and say how obnoxious my son is.

I was so angry I was shaking..I quite literally I wanted to kill this woman. I envisioned grabbing her up out of the wheelchair and slamming her on the floor.My son was oblivious to all of this...so after some self examination..why was I so angry? Who gives a shit what this old relic thinks about anything? Certainly not my sweet boy. Clearly I need to protect my son and try and spare his feelings in some situations but a lot of the time I was getting angry because my own feelings were hurt.


The most important life lesson Jefferson has taught me, It ain't always about me."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

even though I fight it sometimes, learning it's not about me was the first step in realizing why I am unhappy.

"Who cares" is a good message to live by.

This reason alone is good enough for me to get a tattoo, very personal in nature. Obviously it will draw comments from family and friends.

Who cares? I'm not the first person with a tattoo. Yet the people who look at it may not understand, creating their own uncomfortableness with the situation.

And thats about them, not me. I can not let somebody elses ideals get me worked up. My serenity is mine and I know how to share.

Ignorance and intolerance is a crime, I won't let them steal my serenity!